To provide better in-house diagnostic care and thereby saving patients from the hassle of shuttling to different offices, acquiring a state-of-the-art digital imaging machine was a natural progression for us as a multi-specialty family-friendly dental clinic located in the heart of Newton.
The 3D images are useful in a number of settings that help us save teeth in several ways:
- Our periodontists use these for implant positioning and treatment planning
- Our endodontists can more accurately assess the anatomy (number and length) of canals needing root canal therapy and can perform root tip surgeries (apicoectomies) to save infected teeth, as well as to retreat failed root canals
- Our general dentists can diagnose fractured and infected teeth more accurately
Other than providing 3D images, the Planmeca also provides 2D images to help dentists and hygienists in diverse clinical situations such as:
- “Pan/Ceph” (Panoramic/ Cephalometric) images for orthodontic diagnoses
- Panoramic images for oral surgical needs (including addressing issues related to wisdom teeth)
- Extraoral bitewings for patients who have a difficult gag reflex, with a widened field of view. No more shoving sensors uncomfortably inside the mouth to take hard-to-access images
All this with the safety of super-low doses of radiation – generally much lower than conventional X-ray machines & medical CTs – and in a way that addresses those who might find some forms of diagnostic imaging equipment claustrophobic. Call us today to learn more or to book a consultation.